Dr Hopton is an experienced Forensic Psychologist. She is registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), chartered with the British Psychological Society. She currently works as the Strategic and Clinical Lead of a large NHS Forensic Psychology Service and has a Lecturer in forensic psychology and mental at Queen Mary University London.
Dr Hopton is regularly instructed to conduct mental health and risk assessments in criminal cases and for Parole Board hearings. She has particular expertise in the assessment and treatment of men convicted of sexual offences.
Dr Hopton has experience working within health and justice settings in both the NHS and the private sector. She has worked across the care pathway within the criminal justice system from court diversion services to inpatient services and within the community including the Offender Personality Disorder pathway. Her training and experience includes comprehensive assessment, formulation and treatment for individuals with a range of offence histories. Dr Hopton is trained in a number of specialist assessments for evaluating cognitive abilities, personality and risk. She is also experienced in the facilitation of a number of group and individual interventions for mental health difficulties and offending behaviours.
Areas of specialism
- Violence / sexual offending risk assessment
- Risk management planning, including assessment of protective factors
- Assessments of personality disorder, psychopathy and cognitive functioning
- Trauma and attachment focused interventions
- Interventions to target problematic or maladaptive behaviours
- Treatment of offending behaviour, and adapting for responsivity issues such as personality disorder and intellectual disability
- Evaluating treatment progress and impact
- Research methods and service/intervention evaluation
Courts or Tribunals: Criminal and Offending, Family Court
Age groups: Adult
Psychological Specialisms: Anger and Violence, Forensic, Sexual Offending